OGS Check-In for International Students

Are you an international student studying at NYU for the summer? Read on for an important message from OGS, (the Office of Global Services) to complete your mandatory check-in process.

Welcome to NYU! We at the Office of Global Services are here to assist you with all immigration-related matters. We provide students support so they can arrive in the country with proper documentation, stay legal in the US, and adjust culturally.

First, the US government requires all new NYU international students to report their arrival to NYU. To do this, follow the steps below. And please remember, if you don’t follow these steps, you risk losing your ability to remain legal in the US.

STEP 1: Complete the arrival form and submit your immigration information to OGS online.
You won’t be able to provide us with these documents until after your arrival to the US. You could scan your documents for free at NYU ITS locations. You will need to have copies (pdf or jpg) of these documents available to complete the form:

  • Passport
  • F-1 or J-1 visa (except for citizens of Canada and Bermuda)
  • I-94 record
  • I-20 or DS-2019
  • Your dependent’s documents (if you have a spouse or children here with you as F-2 or J-2 dependents)

STEP 2: Update your local US address in Albert.
After entering the US, all students must have an up-to-date US residential address in their NYU records. If we don’t receive this information, you risk losing legal status in the US. See instructions on how to update your US address.

STEP 3: Make sure you are registered as a full-time student!
All F-1 and J-1 students must be registered full-time, which means:

  • 12 credits for a 12 week program,
  • 6 credits for a 6 week program,
  • 1 credit per week,
  • or 18 hours per week of class time for non-credit courses


Next, here are a few things you should know:

  • Traveling during your program?
    If you are traveling internationally while your program is running, make sure you have all the correct documents to return to the US in F-1 status!
  •  Wanting to find paid work during the summer?
    DON’T: International students require work authorization and visiting students here for one semester unfortunately do not qualify.
  • Sticking around after your program end date?
    F-1 students have a 60 day grace period to exit the US. J-1 students have a 30 day grace period. Remember, if you leave the US at any time during your grace period, you won’t be able to return to the US in F-1 status.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact OGS.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s